Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday 30 December 2009

Ghosts For the Early 21st Century


I am preparing an collection of ghost stories. I wrote down thirty possible titles and from that number, selected the ones that would most intrigue the reader. I had to discard a title called 'Digital to Analogue' because I discovered that it is also the title of a 1991 short story by Alastair Reynolds. (By coincidence, both my planned story and Reynold's story mentioned Joy Division -  does this mean that great minds plan alike, eh? One day I'll sign a huge publishing contract too.)


There is no unifying theme to my collection because I hope to include a variety, like a tin of Quality Street or Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. "Ya never know what ya gonna get!". Consistent shivers are my goal. I noticed that most of my stories so far involve children as ghosts or as protagonists. This is not a coincidence. The bogeymen and spooks of yesteryear do not scare children these days but I'm not too sure how to write the lack of Internet connection as a major fright. 


No comments:

Designed By Seo Blogger Templates